Recently they approached me again with a different piece of furniture in mind, seen above and with me reflected in the mirror. How did I do that? Ha! Anyway, we stayed with the Navajo theme and I proposed simple blocks of colors, larger scale designs, and some repetition. They approved the series of papers I had collected, and I began by painting the inside part of the desk a plain black. Black is one of my favorite colors, and it is one of theirs, too.
Then I started the drawers, which went quickly and smoothly, and set the design for me.
Next came the front of the desk flap, and we had agreed in advance that I would mimic a certain cross type design commonly found on their Kachina dolls. The top went fast, and then I started the sides.
I ran into a couple of challenges due to folding the desk flap down to use it, which entailed me repapering the edge where the painted end laid against the papered body of the chest. The paint didn't like the finish coat on the paper and kept sticking, so I found those black felt dots used for the back of art works or the bottom of lamps and such. Since I had used black paint, the dots blended in and worked beautifully.
Even though life has been a scramble, it felt so very good to be cutting and papering again. I could actually feel it calm my spirit and give me strength and focus. Sigh...