Saturday, March 31, 2012

Memories are made of this

I finished the wooden book for friend Anita, for whom we are having a going away lunch on Monday. Each member of the group made a 4"x6" post card of fabric (reinforced with Temtex I think) and signed them on the back. They fit snugly into the wooden book. I kept it very simple, with natural poplar wood and some black and white papers and washi tape, so the colors would stand out. 
This first "page" has phrases I cut out from one of Anita's old Mandarin language text books she gave me that allowed me to create a sentiment congratulating her on her travels, wishing her happiness, and urging her to keep a needle and thread close by as she is an avid art quilter.
The second "page" holds photos of each of our group making their own quilts at a recent retreat that Anita organized, and the paper in the bottom of the box.
The last "page" features all our names, and below is the finished product with the post cards.
And the front features my paper post card partly because it is dimensional and wouldn't fit inside with all the other post cards.
I hope she likes it. I know I will cry when she sees it... I am pretty darn mushy about stuff like this.

1 comment: