Sunday, March 20, 2011

Immersed in other's artmaking

I follow an art quilt group known as Twelve by Twelve, and specifically Terry Grant, who is a member. Lark published a book about their two year challenge to each other to create a 12"x12" art quilt on a theme every sixty days. I got a copy of that book directly from Terry, which you can see here and I have been reading it a little each night for the last four or five days.

What a great book! What a wonderful challenge they put together, and I have been immersed in their work almost like a good novel one can't put down. It also has been a great distraction from the sadness here, and I appreciate being able to sink myself into their stories of how they work, their processes, the trials and tribulations and insecurities they each experience in the company of artists they respect. And their successes are stellar. They even speak about which of their pieces they dislike or are disappointed in. Wow. That is helpful to me. Don't we all experience that, but hardly ever share it publicly?

Even if you don't sew or quilt, and I don't, you will like this book.

7 comments:

  1. Jackie, what a nice review! thank you. I am so glad you are enjoying the book. The thoughts are really universal for creative people, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jackie!! As one of the artists, I, too, found the honesty in critiquing our own work was so refreshing and knowing the group as I do, expected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Jackie. I am thrilled that you are inspired by the book. We are really honored to share our art and our experiences through the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just discovered your blog Jackie. I'm delighted to hear about the book of quilt challenges. I'm part of a group of artists/quilters preparing for an exhibit, part of which is a challenge.--Looking forward to some good evening reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jackie! thank you for the lovely book review. This is my first visit to your blog and I find your work is very inspiring as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. O.M.G! I feel so honored to have been visited by so many of the Twelves! I am hosting my quilting group today (I know its wierd because I don't sew but they let me hang out with them and do paper stuff) and I already have your book out to share with them. I belong to a different small group of art types and I know we will use your book to guide some of our discussions on process and critique. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm smiling broadly to see so many of the Twelves here, too, since I introduced my friend Jackie to my friends Terry and Gerrie, and thence to all of you. I read my copy of the book over several days last week, too, and now I have a much more vivid sense of each of you.

    ReplyDelete